Monday, February 8, 2016

Grateful for crepes & good people

First of all, on Tuesday it was National Crepe day in France and that might have just become my new favorite Holiday. Also, people were SO nice this week! We met some really cool people and it reminded me that there are such good people in the world. Whether they are Catholic, Muslim, LDS, or Atheist I have met some really great people.

This week we did a lot of contacting and door knocking. On Wednesday we spent almost the whole day trying to find new people to teach. Nobody was interested enough to want to set up a lesson or give us their telephone number. However, we were able to give out two Books of Mormon and a few mormon.org cards with our information. We even got to say prayers with four atheists! The coolest experience I had that day was when we were talking to this young atheist girl. I understood what she was saying in the beginning when she was explaining that she wasn't believing. She started talking about all this other stuff and I honestly had no idea what was going on. I had this feeling I should ask her about if she has ever heard of the Book of Mormon. I had no idea what she was talking about so I assumed it was going to be way off topic but I figured I should just ask anyway. Afterwards, my companion told me that it was perfect timing because the lady had just finished talking about how much she enjoys literature and reading books. She might not be interested right now but hopefully one day if she ever needs a book to read she will remember hearing about the Book of Mormon. We also offered a B.O.M to another atheist lady and her response was, "Why not.. Maybe I will read it eventually."  It was a good reminder to me that this is the Lord's work and he will not let the inadequacies and weaknesses of 18 & 19 year olds stop it from progressing. If someone needs to hear the gospel He will not let the language barrier be the reason they don't have the opportunity. Most of the time I have no idea what I am doing or what I am going to say. That's okay though because I don't need to know. I just need to be worthy and willing to act upon the spiritual promptings I am given.

The most amazing miracle of the week was the miracle of Emilie! We are coming home from attempting to try to contact three different referrals but none of them were home. What seemed to be a rather unsuccessful night turned into one of the most memorable nights of my mission. We realized we only had 15 minutes left in the night and decided just to go out street contacting. She was the first person we saw so we started talking to her. I think she immediately recognized us a "Mormons"  because she started asking us all these questions about if we think the movies are true. France recently came out with some movies about Mormons and it has created a problem because they are totally inaccurate. They portray LDS beliefs as a mix between Amish and FLDS practices. So typically when people say they have heard of the "Mormons" it is not a good thing... After clearing up some misconceptions, we started talking about what we actually believe. She said she was really interested in learning more and would love to meet with us again. I asked her about what her beliefs were and she said she is "still searching." (we talked to her in English because once she heard our accents she starting speaking in English) We asked if we could say a prayer before we left and she said yes. We asked if there was anything in particular she needed us to pray for. She went silent for a minute. Finally she said, "Well my dad is dying so I guess you could pray for him..." After saying the prayer I looked up and she was crying. She immediately gave us a huge hug and said "I am so grateful I met you."  The spirit was so strong and I am so grateful for the opportunity to maybe bring some hope into her life. The plan is to meet with her again this week!

The one thing that I have had to frequently testify about is the "Plan of Salvation." The answers to life's greatest questions come from having a knowledge of God's plan for us. "Where did I come from? Why am I here? Where am I going?" These great questions are answered when we have the knowledge of the "Plan of Salvation." I feel so lucky that everyday I get to testify about this great plan of happiness. I get to tell people that I know that we lived with our Heavenly Father before this earth and we each chose to come here. I get to explain that we each have a purpose in this life and that afterwards we get to return to live with our Heavenly Father and our families forever. I am so grateful for the knowledge that death is only temporary for us because Christ overcame death. I read a scripture in Mosiah this week that said... "But there is a resurrection, therefore the grave hath no victory, and the sting of death is swallowed up in Christ." I hope that everyday I can strive to become a little better so that I am worthy to live with my Heavenly Father and my family forever. Church is true! Have a wonderful week.

Love, Soeur Johnson

No comments :

Post a Comment