Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Giving as He Gave

Bonjour!

Another week down! I hit my one month mark this past week. It's crazy to think I am already done with the first month of my mission. It makes me realize how important it is to make everyday count. This past week we had to switch classrooms because new missionaries were coming in and apparently needed our classroom. We weren't very happy about it because we had to move all our stuff. We immediately stopped complaining when we walked into our new classroom and realized our view from the window was of the top of the temple with the beautiful mountains in the background. It brings all new meaning to "Always keep the temple in your sights." I am so grateful for the temple!

Christmas lights with Soeur Brown!

On Thursday we did an "English fast." Which means we could only speak French the entire day! Not a word of English. I was surprised that when I was forced to speak in French that I actually know a lot more than I think I do. It was a great opportunity ti measure where I was at and what I needed to work on. We also ended up teaching a couple "TRC"  lessons. Which means we teach members a lesson or share a spiritual thought with them. After one of the lessons the member turned to me and said, "Did you take Spanish?" I said, "I took it in High school." He responded, "Yeah I can tell." This was a little bit concerning because we taught the lesson in French...(or at least I thought so) My "French" is a mix between English words with a French accent, Spanish words I randomly remember from High School and occasionally one or two real French words. I feel like my French has got better but that just might be because I am better at making stuff up now.. I guess we will see when I get to Paris! (13 days..but who's counting?)

I wanted to share a quick story from some of the French missionaries who left last week. About two days before they were supposed to leave for Vanuatu half of them received notice that they were being reassigned temporarily to Mesa, Arizona because their Visas hadn't arrived. They were all pretty devastated about the situation. Especially because the other half of their district received Visa's and were still going to Vanuatu. What nobody knew was that the Mesa, Arizona mission has had a decrease in missionaries in the last year and the Mission President was worried they were going to have to close some areas because of the lack of missionaries. Apparently the President was talking with his assistants and praying about what to do about shutting down the ares. They were just talking about how they needed visa-waiters when the phone rang. He was told that they were sending nine visa-waiters, the exact number they needed to keep all the areas open. I don't think that was coincidence. This is truly the Lord's work and as we trust in him and submit to his will everything will workout.

Our district Christmas tree!

This Christmas is going to be quite unique experience. It will be a lot different from any past or future Christmas I will experience. However, I have a feeling it will be one of the most memorable. II will not be waking up to presents under the tree. Instead, I will have the opportunity to wake up and go listen to an appointed servant of the Lord. Afterwards, eat a "Christmas Lunch" with over 2,000 missionaries who have all dedicated the next 18-24 months of their lives to the Lord. Then we will all return to classrooms to continue studying and preparing ourselves to better help invite others to come unto Christ. There are no days off when it comes to the Lords work. There can't be when the work that is being done is so important. The gift of the gospel has been one of the greatest gifts I have received. I am so grateful for that God gave us the gift that made all other gifts possible, Our Savior. "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son.." (John 3:16) Giving has existed since the foundation of the world. We have been given the gift of agency. The way we decide to use our agency will show our gratitude for this great gift. This gift came at a great cost. The Atonement became necessary when we were given this gift. The Savior is the ultimate example of how to give. "Never did the Savior give in expectation of receiving. He gave freely and lovingly,and His gifts were of inestimable value... He gave us His love, His service and His life. And most importantly he gave us all mortals resurrection, salvation and eternal life." (President Benson) I hope that this Christmas we can all give a little more like the Savior gave. To give ourselves and our hearts to Him is the greatest gift we could offer. Let's all think of something we could give to the Savior this Christmas to better align our lives with his will. Merry Christmas!!

Love,
Soeur Johnson

No comments :

Post a Comment