Monday, July 25, 2016

Modern Day Pioneers

Bonjour family & friends!

This week we set a baptismal date with Chantel for August! We are super excited. She is so ready. She is really eager to get baptized because she feels like she can't really progress until she is baptized. At our lesson with her, our member brought another one of his friends that wasn't a member but has met with missionaries before. At the end of the lesson he started asking questions about the Book of Mormon. Before we could even respond, Chantel started testifying for us! It was cool to watch her explain and testify of the Book of Mormon because it really shows that she is truly converted. I'm literally still in shock of how open and receptive she is to the gospel. On Sunday, the lesson in "Amis class" was on tithing. We were a little worried at first because we haven't taught her about it yet. She raised her hand to make a comment and I was just thinking "oh no" what is she going to say. Her comment made my whole day... She said, "it's just really unfortunate for me because I don't have the opportunity to pay tithing because I'm not baptized yet." She knows the blessings she will get as a result of paying tithing so she is eager to be baptized. I have only taught two other people on my mission as receptive as her and ironically they will be getting baptized the same day! It's people like this that give me hope that there are other people prepared to hear the gospel too.

Picnic at the park!

The Elders were on the bus the other week and a lady saw their plaques that said "Jesus-Christ." She was getting off at the next stop so she didn't have much time to talk to them but instead she wrote down her number and said, "Call me!!" They gave us her number because they figured she was a single women so it would be easier if we taught her. We gave her a call and set up rendezvous. We went to her house and her husband and son were there! She has grown up Catholic but right now is looking for a church for her and her family. We invited her to church on Sunday but we waited and she didn't show up. As we were about to sing the closing song she walked in and sat down by me!! She had got a taxi to take her to church but ended up taking her to some random Catholic Church instead so that's why she was late. She turned to me and said, "I promised you I would come, so I am here!" Getting our Amis to actually come to church is always one of the hardest things so it was a miracle that she came. That is when you know that they really do have a desire to hear the gospel. We actually ended up seeing her son later that day who is 10 and he said, "I was a little busy today so I couldn't make it to your church but I will be there next week." He is so cute! I am excited to teach their family again this week and see their testimonies grow.

This week I also had the chance to go back to my last area (Lille) for a day! We had exchanges with the "Sister Training Leaders" so we got to spend the night in my old apartment. It was fun to be back in the City where I started my mission. I was there for so long that it felt like I never left! Unfortunately, I didn't get to see any of my Amis but all is well because Soeur Witham is taking good care of them. I went out on  exchange with Soeur Corneta who is from Switzerland. She is a wonderful example of someone who really has "the pure love of Christ." When she talks to people she shows how much she cares about them and how much she desires for them to have the gospel. People want to listen to hear not necessarily because of what she says but because of WHO she is. She is a person who doesn't just preach the gospel, she lives it. That's something I really want to strive to work on.  I'm grateful for the chance I had to work with and learn from her!

Can't get enough of all the cool buildings here!

I hope everyone had a fun 24 of July! (Aka. Pioneer Day) They obviously don't celebrate it here but I still took a minute to think about what being a pioneer means to me. When I think about pioneers in my life I usually think back to my ancestors who pushed and pulled handcarts across the plains. They made many sacrifices so that their future family could have the blessings of the gospels. The definition of pioneer is,"one who goes before to prepare or open up the way for others to follow.” One of the many things I love about serving in France/Belgium is having the opportunity to meet so many people who are converts to the church. They are the "pioneers" for their future families. They are making choices that are going to completely change the lives of their future family members. They have strong testimonies of the gospel and are willing to make sacrifices for it. They really are the modern day pioneers. I admire their strength and it often makes me reflect on my own testimony of the gospel and what I would sacrifice for it. What are willing to give? What are we willing to sacrifice? What legacy will we leave behind? We all our pioneers in the sense that the choices and paths we choose to take in life we affect those of our future generations. Let's make sure we are making good choices and leaving behind a legacy that our future generations will thank us for. Have a wonderful week!

Love, Soeur Johnson

No comments :

Post a Comment