Monday, July 4, 2016

Rough days & Rats..

Bonjour family and friends!

This week had a rough start but ended great! On Monday, we were at someone's house teaching a lesson. I was in the middle of talking and I felt something in my shoe. I looked down and there was a RAT trying to climb in my shoe! Let's just say that I really wanted to freak out but I tried to keep as calm as possible. I kicked the thing off of me and we continued on with the lesson. My first thoughts were 1) If we have another lesson we are teaching at the Church and not that house. 2) My mom would be so proud of me for not having a total mental breakdown. This was a very minor experience compared to what other missionaries have to deal with in other countries but that's for sure the last time I want to have an experience like that. I thought that I would avoid situations like being sent to France but I guess not! Good thing there were lots of miracles to make up for a not so good start to the week!

On Wednesday, we were having a bit of a rough day because nobody seemed to want to listen but we had a really strong desire to find some people to teach. We started walking down the street and the only person on the whole road was sitting on a bench. We approached her and came to found out that she was American! She has friends who are LDS and she lived by LDS church building in Colorado. She does a lot of genealogy with the church so she knows a lot about who we are. She said she has even talked with the missionaries before! She believes in God and seems open to all religions. We talked with her for awhile about a lot of different things. Before we left we asked to say a pray with her. She volunteered to say it so we let her! Her prayer was literally so beautiful. She prayed that we could continue to have smiles on our faces so that others could see the joy that God has brought us. She prayed for our families as we are far away from them doing the Lords work. She prayed for us that we would be able to find people that want to hear our message and that they would be able to recognize us as servants of God. After we prayed, the next person we talked to was interested and we scheduled a lesson for next week! What a miracle. As we walked down the street she yelled, "Don't worry, I will continue praying for your mothers..." What a total sweetheart! There are such good people in the world.


This week we also went and saw one of the less actives our relief society president wanted us to go visit. Without us even asking, she immediately started opening up to us about how she feels that she is blocking blessings from coming into her life and her family's life because she doesn't pay tithing. She doesn't feel worthy to come to church because she knows she is breaking one of the Lord's commandment. She really does have such strong faith and knows paying her tithing is the right thing to do. She says every time she goes to pay it that something else always comes up and she ends up having to use the money for other things. I was reminded a couple weeks ago that as a missionary we are given the ability to promise blessings. Sometimes it makes me nervous to promise blessings that I don't know how exactly will happen...I guess those are the times I need to work on having more faith! But we both felt good about  promising her that if she pays her tithing first before everything else that she will see the blessings in her life and feel the happiness that obedience brings. I promised her that as she pays her tithing that she will still be able to pay for the other things she needs. We shared a story with her from the life of a Elder Oaks. As a young kid he began to realize that their family did not have very much money. He asked his widowed mother why she paid so much of her earnings to tithing. She responded, "I cannot [raise you children] without the blessings of the Lord, and I obtain those blessings by paying an honest tithing. When I pay my tithing, I have the Lord’s promise that he will bless us, and we must have those blessings if we are to get along.” I love this story because it is so true! We cannot afford to withhold the blessings the Lord has to offer. If we are obedient, he will bless us. I invited her to pick a day that she will designate as the day she will start paying her tithing. By the end of the lesson she said she would come to church with us on Sunday and even go talk to the bishop! At the end of the lesson I sat there and reflected on the conversation. It amazed me that this lady, who is at least 35 years older than us, was taking advice and counsel from two 20 year old girls, who in all honestly, have never been in a situation where paying our tithing might result in us going hungry, or not being able to pay the bills. It was a great testimony building experience for me, not only about tithing, but the great calling it is to be a missionary! As a missionary you're a representative of Jesus Christ and therefore have to act in such a way. It was a good reminder to me that I need to work hard everyday to become a better disciple & representative of him.


Part of missionary work is strengthening the members we already have in the church. There is little point in bringing new members into the church if we can't keep the ones we already have. There are always members that need strengthening! President Hinckley said that every member needs three things: a friend, a responsibility, and nurturing with “the good word of God." Each of us is capable of being a friend and reaching out to those around us. You never know how much of a difference you can make in others by simply reaching out and being a friend! The other day we read a teaching record where the lady hadn't come to church in over 20 years and was going through a really hard time in her life. The relief society president sent her a birthday card and she was so touched that the next Sunday she came to church. It was just a little reminder that there were people that cared about her. It was a small act of kindness but it ended up making a big difference! We can all do a little better at reaching out and being a friend to those around us. I hope everyone has a wonderful week!!

Love, Soeur Johnson

No comments :

Post a Comment