Monday, November 7, 2016

Lots of miracles & lots of chocolate

Bonjour family & friends!!

This week once again reminded me how much I love serving in Brussels! Lots of miracles and lots of chocolate made for a wonderful week.

To start off, I just have to talk about what we did today... So when I first got to Brussels I heard rumors about a place you could go and sample all the Belgium chocolate you want but I didn't know where it was. My "go to" phrase to start conversations on the metro became, "do you know where the chocolate factory is where we can try all the Belgium chocolate?" Everyone looked at me like I was a bit crazy (which becomes a normal thing as a missionary) and after about 2 months without success I stopped asking... But we had a little "pday miracle" this week and finally were able to find it! Since I have been waiting to go to this place for the last 4 1/2 months, I got a little excited and ended up not only eating but also buying 3 Kg of chocolate (your welcome family.)

I love Brussels!

On a spiritual note... After dinner one night we had about one hour left to do some contacting. We went out and the first person we talked with was from Spain so only spoke Spanish! I decided to attempt to dust off the high school Spanish that I "learned" and try to talk with her. I definitely wish I would have payed more attention in class but through hand signals and trying to say french words with a Spanish accent, she understood at least enough to pray with us and give us her number so we could give it to the Spanish elders! Then directly after we got on the metro and I sat down next to a lady and started to talk with her. I quickly realized that she was deaf. So instead I typed out what I wanted to say on my iPad and she typed her responses back to me on her phone. We weren't able to have a long enough "conversation" for us to really get very far in the gospel but I think it made her day to even have someone try to talk with her because I don't think it happens very often. I didn't even attempt to try to use sign language because the only things I remember from my Uncle Phil teaching me are cookie, turtle, and thank you!  At the end I just signed "thank you" and she got a big smile on her face and gave us a hug! I love that we go out everyday and never know what to expect. We meet people from all cultures and backgrounds. It's so cool!

lots of chocolate!

We had stake conference this week and an area general authority came and gave a great talk. He shared a story that I really liked. He talked about when he was bishop he had really great organist in his ward. But one day she came and informed him that she was moving in 6 weeks. He prayed to know who he should call as the new ward pianist. He prayed and a name of a certain lady came into his head. He turned and told his counselors. They both looked at him and said, "but she doesn't know how to play piano." He said, "I know she doesn't, but the Lord knows she can." When he extended the call to her she said the exact same thing, "But I don't know how to play piano." She eventually learned how to play piano but it took lots of practice and a lot of faith. I liked this story because it shows that the Lord knows us better than we know ourselves. He knows what we are capable of doing and becoming. When he asks us to do something he knows that we are able to do it even if we don't think we can. So we just need to trust in him and have faith that he will help us accomplish all the things he asks! Nephi is a great example of having faith in what God asks, "If God had commanded me to do all things I could do them." Have a great week!!

Love, Sœur Johnson

No comments :

Post a Comment