Monday, November 21, 2016

One year déjà?!

Bonjour family & friends!

The beginning of the week we had exchanges with our awesome "Sister Training Leaders." They both are incredible missionaries and I always learn so much from them every time we have exchanges. I did my exchange with Sœur Corneta and we met a lot of really cool people. Most of the people we met were actually Atheists. I love sharing my testimony with them about how I know that there is a God and how prayer has helped me in my life. It's such a cool experience praying with people who have never prayed before. It's interesting because when we testify you can feel the spirit but praying seems to bring the spirit at whole new level. President Benson said, "If we would advance in holiness--increase in favor with God--nothing can take the place of prayer. And so I adjure you to give prayer--daily prayer--secret prayer--a foremost place in your lives. Let no day pass without it."

Exchanges. Saying Goodbye to Soeur Woolley! See ya in 6 months.

This past week I met this girl on the metro named Anita. She is from Venezuela but right now she is here for school. We started talking about religion and found out that she is a orthodox but not really practicing. It's more something she grew up with as part of her cultural and less something that she actually has her own personally testimony of. We talked about knowing the truth for ourselves and how we encourage everyone to ask questions and develop their own personal testimony. Then we said a little prayer with her. Afterwards, she was noticeably touched by the prayer but she also was a little confused. She asked us, "Why do you do that?" I think she is used to prayers being memorized and said out of habit/culture. She had a hard time wrapping her head around the idea that for 18 months we go around and talk with people and pray with them on such a personal level. We both testified of the difference prayer makes in our lives and how we pray with others to help them feel peace in their lives. She thought it was super cool and agreed to meet with us again next week!

Celebrating 1 year on the mission! (Nobody was hurt in the taking of this photo, and only a little bit of hair was singed)

This week I hit my "1 year mark"... it's crazy to think about how fast time flies! It was interesting that I got to spend some time in Lille (where I started my mission) the week of my 1 year mark. It was a good time for me to reflect and see how much I have grown and the things I still need to improve. I don't even know how to begin to explain all the things I have learned in this last year. If anything, the best word I can use to explain how I feel is "grateful." I am so grateful to have the gospel in my life and to have the opportunity to share it with others. I am grateful for the hard times on mission because they have taught me how important it is to rely on Heavenly Father. I am grateful for the lifelong friendships I have made with missionaries, members and Amis. I am grateful for all the tender mercies and miracles I have seen. I am grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who created a plan that would allow us to return to live with Him, as well as our families again. I am grateful for Jesus Christ who ultimately made that plan possible. I think Ammon (one of the greatest missionaries) says it best, "Therefore, let us glory, yea, we will glory in the Lord; yea, we will rejoice, for our joy is full; yea, we will praise our God forever. Behold, who can glory too much in the Lord? Yea, who can say too much of his great power, and of his mercy, and of his long-suffering towards the children of men? Behold, I say unto you, I cannot say the smallest part which I feel." I really just have an overwhelming amount of gratitude for the opportunity I have to share my testimony everyday for 18 months. I am so excited to just soak up every moment of everyday these next 6 months!

Love, Sœur Johnson 

No comments :

Post a Comment